If you’re anything like me, 8 or 9 months pregnant is when pregnancy brain is the absolute worst. Having checklists can ease some worry and help ensure (almost all) important tasks and items are not overlooked or forgotten.
With a whole pandemic on the loose, so many things can occupy your mind space, causing mayhem on your psyche. This is especially true, if you expect a tiny little human to be joining the family.
I delivered my pandemic baby in 2020 at a hospital in Canada. I was fortunate that the hospital I chose provided a list of items needed or suggested, for both mom and baby, for the duration of our stay.
Whether or not you have a planned hospital birth, it’s a good idea to have an emergency bag prepared. Be sure to check your hospital’s website, for resources that may help.
Here is a list of items I packed for birth and delivery during the pandemic.
- Masks for both mom and partner
- Health insurance card or information
- Pen to fill out forms
- Disposable underwear – eg. adult diapers or mesh underwear
- Maxi pads/maternity pads – not necessary if you choose diapers
- Personal hygiene products – deodorant body wash etc.
- Lip gloss/balm
- Breath freshener, toothpaste and toothbrushes for you and partner
- Breastfeeding pillow (optional)
- A pillow or two
- Housecoat and slippers
- Massage oils
- Relaxation playlist
- Personalized focal point
- Snacks (vending machines may be available) – hospital provides meals for patients only and you may be advised against frequent trips outside the hospital room due to Covid safety concerns.
- Freezies (labeled with your name) – usually allowed in the place of ice chips/cubes.
- Partner’s swimsuit if joining you in shower or tub
- Camera with extra batteries and memory card
- Cell phones, tablets etc. and CHARGERS
- Baby wipes
- Several outfits
- Mild baby soap of your choice
- Mittens and socks or booties
Thankfully, my baby was born towards the end of summer, so it was still pretty warm but not scorching hot. In the case of beautiful winter babies remember to pack baby winter gear as well.